Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Who do you think you are?

photo credit: jcrewandcappuccinos

Identity. We all have one -- whether it is something we create in our lives through trial and error, given to us by someone else's perception or observation, or something we were born into.

It's a tricky thing, identity, because most of us continuously change based on our current stage of life. Two years ago I defined myself as a recent college graduate, single, job seeker and intern. This was not who I was, it was simply a short summary of what I was up to.

What we do and who we portray ourselves to be - these do not make up our identity. Through months of frustration and struggling with the decision to make a career change, I recently came to the revelation that defining myself based on my job description will only limit the possibilities of what God has planned for me. 

Mark Driscoll poses a simple question in his book/sermon series "Who Do You Think You Are?"


How would you describe yourself to someone you just met? 
(and I don't mean the elevator pitch version)

My name means "strong faith," and this is what I strive to live out in my identity. I believe God thought me up for a reason, and I'm on the journey to figure out what he sees beyond my limited horizon.

I am J's fiance and will soon be his wife. This will take on a new identity in itself, which I will have to revisit at a later date.

I am a dreamer of far away places and the things I long to create.

I am an optimist and a romantic. I want to change the world.

Above all else, I want to be identified as a woman who longs to know, and be known by the creator of the Universe.

I challenge you to write and rewrite and rewrite your own identity. This is my first draft. Do this until your identity is less about you, and more about Him. Dream a little and don't hold back.

Genesis 1:26-27 
James 4:13-17

No comments:

Post a Comment